JR and I had been debating for some time now as to whether we should keep Chica - our African Grey Parrot - or try to find a parrot rescue to take her to. It was a very hard decision because we did chose to take on the bird and we weren't exactly smart about it. Like learning all about the birds before we made such a big decision. Most parrot's are "will" birds....in other words they will have to be passed down to another family member when you pass away because they live so darn long! And since all we had owned before were parakeets and cockatiels, we really had no idea just how much work she would take. And then we added a couple extra babies into the mix (Kayla and Eli were about 7 & 4 when we got her) and it just really didn't make sense that we continue to keep her. I really feel like we got her out of a less than ideal situation when we got her when she was just over a yr old. Now it is our turn to make sure she lives in an ideal situation and let her get some rehab and love. She needs the rehab because she is a feather plucker/shredder. She really isn't pretty so I knew nobody would be interested in buying her or adopting her from the pound. African Grey Parrot's are known to have emotional issues and love to pluck their feathers. And sometimes, once they start, just like nail biters, they can't stop! She also bit JR's mother, bruising her arm. And she bit Emma, though not hard enough to draw blood. I don't really want to risk that happening again with Emma or with anyone else for that matter. So we found a place in Littleton, CO that is a parrot rescue and this guy is excited to get her and start working with her. He already has lots of plans for her and he has lots of friends for her waiting. He was actually taking in a bird this evening that is a feather plucker so maybe she and Chica will become the best of friends! :) He also has a lady all the way up in Washington state that works with "troubled" birds! After many, many conversations with this guy I feel pretty good about him and his organization and trust he will do what is best for Chica. That was the hardest part of all, making sure she didn't end up on some bird "farm" where she was just as ignored there as she was here! So tomorrow morning we will load her and her cage up in the van and take her to her new home where she can be much happier!
The Friends We Keep – Tour Dates!
7 years ago

5 comments:
Awwwww, I know how it feels to give up a pet (for us, it was our cat, Sadie) because they would be better off in another situation. It sounds like you put a lot of thought into it all and are making an informed decision. You really can't ask for more than that.
Sometimes the hardest thing to do is the right thing. Good for Chica getting a new lease on life...and therapy to boot! That will certainly make her more attractive to any new families.
Wow I wish I would have known. My sister and brother in law have a mail African Gray. They love him and would have loved another one. Oh well she will be well taken care of.
I'm not a bird person, but I am glad that you've found her what sounds to be a very wonderful home! I'm sure she will be very, very happy and will make lots of new friends soon!!!!!
Sorry to hear you are saying goodbye to Chica...but it sounds like its for the best. She will be very happy with all her feathered friends!
Post a Comment